So I’m right in the middle of a link building campaign for a large site, and one of the tactics is guest blog articles. If you’re not familiar with this, it’s a great way to build traffic and links, and all you have to do is create some quality content and be willing to give it away…
So here are a few basic tips. This is not meant to be comprehensive, but will at least get you started:
Here is how to do it:
- You choose a blog you want your article to appear on. (be picky)
- You approach the author of the blog to make sure they accept guest articles (most of the good bloggers do)
- View past articles that have been published on the blog to get a good sense of the topic and quality
- Write your post (make it truly valuable and unique otherwise you’ll be wasting your time)
- Submit the article to the blog.
- Get rich and famous (some results may vary)
- Do your research (know what the other blogger likes and doesn’t like)
- Make it relevant and valuable to the other blog’s audience. Don’t write about what your audience is interested in… write something valuable for the other blog’s readers.
- Make it clear up front to the blogger that you want a resource box at the bottom of the article. (this is where you add your link!)
- Once it’s published, promote the heck out of it. The other blogger will appreciate this, and you’ll reap most of the benefit.
- Explore your opportunities to become a regular contributor.
What’s the Point?:
- Free links from blogs of your choice. (if you don’t count the time investment)
- Expand your reach to target other blog readers
- Traffic from popular blogs.
- Extra brand awareness.
- Subscribers. The saavy blog reader will recognize that you wrote the article and visit your blog to subscribe.
- A new relationship with a blogger that loves you for taking the time to add quality content to their site.